For the first time in this game design adventure, I am going to meet a self-imposed deadline. Weeeird.
The first draft of Ruralpunk will be sent out to the mailing list on July 30th. Once I've playtested the core mechanics (and a few experimental design decisions), I will release the playtest on the main ruralpunk.net website. That will probably be 6-8 weeks into testing depending on scheduling factors.
What's included? A draft of the rulebook + a player kit/reference kit for easier use during play. It includes:
The general plan is to playtest character creation and the core roll mechanic first. Once that feels good, I'll focus on the shelter phase (replaces downtime phase) and contact/town advancement system. I've sketched out some math on the resource and advancement systems, but all the math in the world can't replace the feel of a game in play. I want all of these system locked in before I add anymore complexity with additional playbooks and crafting.
And naturally, I'll keep working on art whenever I need a writing break so I can hopefully get the final book full of sweet rural punk aesthetic.
Just a quick update to say the work on Ruralpunk is picking up steam.
I've launched a site for the game at ruralpunk.net. For now it's a place to sign-up to receive playtesting materials. (If you're already on the newsletter for this site, you're already on the list for updates).
I made a separate site partly because I want to have a web version of the rules. With the linking, navigation menus, and responsibe layout of the web to different devices, it seems like an easy way to navigate the rulebook. And it's an easy way to update/push out new versions for playtesting. If it works well, I'll probably create a finalized version once the playtesting is done. Any purchase of the game would also get you access to the final webpage. Or it might turn out to be a failed experiment; we'll see.
Either way, I'm excited to get playtesting Ruralpunk in the next few weeks.
I've finished the world chapter, basic rules chapter, character creation, and have the master layout for character sheets. At this point I need to work on the town sheets (which replace crew/team sheets in this game). Once I have 1 or 2 done, I'll be putting everything together for the first playtest document. I hope to have it out by the end of July.
Update log on everything related to casskDESIGNS